l The armor of God l
In the moving display above you see a passage from the letter to Ephesians in the Holy Bible:
• "Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil." (Ephesians 6:11)
I’d like to explain this verse to avoid the idea of a physical armor for militant attacks against the dark side. Actually, in his letter to the Ephesians, Paul the apostle describes how to understand the armor of God, as it consists of several parts:
- The belt: This is the truth. The truth which the Holy Spirit will guide every believer. The cognition of the true interrelations. A life in truth.
- The suit of armor: This is the justice. Any Christian is to live a life in justification. “The righteous will live by faith”, the letter to the Romans says. Hence, it also means a life by the grace of God, as no one is able to make any little contributions to salvation. It is an act of mercy by God, we can only make a draft on through our belief.
- The shoes: This is about the clothing of the feet. Paul uses them to picture the willingness to announce the gospel. Certainly, to go out, to spread the good message, you’ll need solid shoes.
- The shield: Paul says “Take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.” (Ephesians 6,16), which means to have faith in God in all situations. By trusting God, we are shielded from the attacks of Satan.
- The helmet: This is a picture for the certainty of our rescue, which means the certainty of salvation. Every believing Christian can be certain about his salvation. This is a difference to Islam for instance, where one can never be certain to reach heaven. Every Christian knows for sure to have immortal life with God through the faith in Jesus Christ, as God definitely promises it within his Word.
- The sword: This is the Word of God, the Holy bible. Satan can be combated by the Word of God. Jesus Christ himself used the Old Testament against the devil who tried to attempt Jesus in the desert (read Matthew 4). This is why it is so important to know the word of God, otherwise you’d lack of a main weapon to fight sinister mights.
- It is the striking point for every human to get to have faith in the Son of God, Jesus Christ. Everybody doing so will be saved only through his faith. This is why the armor of God is not to be meant as the way to salvation itself, but its components are very important for us as they are part of the Christian life. Every Christian is exposed to various impeachments. The bible says: “We do not fight people, but sinister mights.” As the devil was already vanquished, he can not do us harm anymore. But he still can try to tempt us, to lead us up the garden path, to entrap us in buildings of lies (like lightwork and esoteric) or into other complications of life. The more we use the armor of God, the more we’ll stand the devil’s trickery.